Sunday, February 26, 2006

LoveCats

One of the better by-products of staying home on a Saturday night is watching movies that I would never seek out or watch if I wasn't sitting home on a Saturday night. (If you find yourself in this situation try the Sundance Channel or IFC. Kooky stuff.) This weekend it was Something Wild, starring Carroll Baker. After watching this movie I am a bit dismayed that it seems that in 1961 the best way to treat a rape victim is to have an aggro, drunk Forrest Gump-like mechanic hold her hostage in his apartment until they fall in love. It made me mad and uncomfortable.

The plot aside, I got into this movie because of all the cheesy method acting. It was great! I can hear the director talking to the two leads, "Ms. Baker, you're a kitten and Mr. Meeker, you're a wild cat. You're both trapped in a room together, now go act!" I've never been a fan of method acting, unless it's James Dean. I think that's more about his bedroom eyes than his acting ability.

But what I loved the most was the scenes where Baker was wondering the streets of 1961 New York looking for a bridge to jump off. It was very gritty and soaked in realism. I don't even think they hired extras. It was great.

While looking through Carroll Baker's credits I noticed, Il Dolce corpo di Deborah, which translates into The Sweet Body of Deborah. Mmmm...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home