Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Turn that shit up! That's my jam...

Okay, here's the deal. I have to finish a senior project that will satisfy the requirements of a theater degree that I've been working on since, oh well, god was in diapers. I've chosen to write a play which allows a lot of freedom and independence, but it's also easy to put off and my creative juices sometimes aren't flowing. If I had chosen to do an acting or technical project then I could be in a play or design a set. I would have to be on campus and other people would be depending on me. It would be difficult, unpleasant and uncomfortable to procrastinate. And since I'm not passionate about theater it's just easier to put it all on my own shoulders.

Anyways, I had an idea of what I wanted to write about since I decided on this option, so I figured when the time came I would be able to just plow right through it. Well, my original idea was about a person being haunted by a former lover which had changed over the years, namely the old lover became a stranger who was a symbolic representation of the past. Basically, it would've been about a girl who was haunted by her past. To be honest when I developed it I was somewhat broken hearted by a boy and then by my life. All I could think about was my past and all my mistakes, because they were all I had to account for my life.

Now I'm in such a different place and I have no interest in that idea anymore. I finally feel like all that examining of and dwelling on the past is, well, behind me. I'm really ready to move forward. So, I've come up with a new idea for my senior project which has a lot to do with my blog's new name. I'm gonna write four one act plays based on four Liz Phair songs.

You may be asking yourself: Debbye, why Liz Phair? Well, I'll tell ya.

I love her music. I feel connected to it. I think she's never gotten the attention she deserves. She's naughty, rebellious, pissed off, jaded, and funny. Because Exile in Guyville and Whitechocolatespaceegg are two of my favorite albums. Because "fuck and run" was the song of my twenties. Because she writes about women from a woman's point of view. Because Liz Phair is my homegirl and with her help I'm gonna get my shit done.

An interview that skims over her career:


Here's some of her stuff:

Flower (NSFW):


Divorce Song and Help Me, Mary:


Only Son:


fuck and run:


Extraordinary:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home