Sunday, January 09, 2005

We're the Kids of America

I was just watching two documentaries called "16 Year Old Girls" and "16 Year Old Boys" on MSNBC where they gave three sixteen year old kids a video camaras to document their lives. It was okay, but the one thing that got to me was how the boys had interests and goals like becoming rap artists, tennis stars and going to ivy league colleges. The girls were mainly interested in going to prom and hooking up with boys.
But there was on exception with the girls. This cute little punk rock girl who was in a band and acted in community theatre. She wanted to be a star. She was just so cool and funky. She didn't remind me of myself, but rather of girls who would've been my friends. What was so sad was that her mother kicked her out because she wasn't a clean cut preppy girl like she was in junior high. Anyhow, she ended up doing coke and failing school. All I have to say is if I had a daughter who had passion for something other than getting a boyfriend I would jump for joy. I mean who we are at sixteen is so different than what we eventually become. It just bummed me out.
The Muppets Take Manhattan is on so at least there is one good thing on TV. I just love Miss Piggy. Now there's a pig with style.

2 Comments:

Blogger Shexpeare said...

Wow. That bums me out too. Miss piggy doesn't have THAT much style- she kinda freaks me out with all the shrillness.
Hi. Uhhh, you commented on my friends blog, so I thought I would check yours out.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Debbye said...

wow my first comment from someone I don't know...now I feel like I'm blogging.

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home