Thursday, May 25, 2006

It must be because of the season...

I'm going to stop only using lyrics as titles for my posts. I have been doing this since I started over a year and half ago. There have been many times I just wanted to come up with my own title, but would be compelled to keep up with the lyrics. I had committed to the lyrics and it felt wrong somehow to stop. The more I thought about it the more lame it sounded. This made me realize that I can only commit to the utterly ridiculous.

For example:

~ When I was a girl I would spend hours on my back with my feet in the air trying to flip a pillow without using my hands. I had it in my head that if I learning how to flip a pillow with my feet would I would be the Queen of Cool. I did this for months. My parents, god bless them, would never question or try to talk me out of my determined pillow-flipping trance. They would just go about their business while their crazy daughter flipped a fucking pillow over and over again.
The saddest thing is that with all of this training, I never got much better than tossing the pillow up in the air and catching it with my feet. I never did learn how to flip that damn pillow. Eventually I realized it was stupid and stopped my bid for Amazing Foot-Only Pillow Flipper, Queen of Cool.

~ My mother absolutely refused to let me get my ears double pierced. This is the woman who let me leave the house and/or go to school with crotch-less fishnets as a shirt, garter-belts with thigh highs under a pleated plaid skirt and a jean jacket with a hula dancing half-naked Betty Book with a strategically placed lai (not at the same time, of course.) But, to my mom, double pierced ears were tacky. This infuriated me to no end! Thus, from the age of thirteen, I was determined to get an extra pair of holes in my head.
Because I was under age I couldn't get them professionally pierced without her permission and I was too chicken to do it myself; so I came up with a plan! The day I turned eighteen I was going to get my ears double pierced! Then I would boldly walk up to my mother and show off my new accessories. HA!
So, on November 2, 1994, I got my ears double pierced! I proudly marched up to my mother and showed her my ears. She just grimaced, said, "It's just gross" and walked away. What a let down! The holes ended up getting infected and being more trouble than they're worth. But don't tell my mom I said so...

~ At the age of 17 I became a born-again Christian. By the age of 22 my beliefs had started to falter, so in a desire to prove my faith I got a Christian tattoo on my lower back. It’s a sun with "Judges 5:31" in the middle (look it up your own damn self.) Now I have a reminder of a time when I actually believed in a book that claimed that a man walked on water, women were responsible for just about everything bad and sex before marriage was a sin.
I believe the only people who are truly affected by last ditch effort to commit to religion are the fella’s who end up doing it doggy-style with me. "Wanna desecrate my temple, baby?" is a great pick up line by the way. But it only works on atheists.

~ The biggest lamest commitment of all was when I spent five years in college as a theatre major. With only five classes to go I realized that a) I'm not an actor, b) I'm not a tech person and c) I don't even like theatre that much. But I was committed! I ended up so sick of school and this lame major I left with only seven units left. HA! Fuck you theatre department!

I think I make commitments so I can break them to feel like a rebel nonconformist waving both middle fingers at the world.

So there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home