Monday, January 15, 2007

I miss my mom

For the last month my mom has been home with a broken ankle and today she finally went back to work. For that month she was home, we were just laying around the house like big blobs. We didn't even have x-mas last year because we just couldn't be bothered. But those days are gone. My mom has gone back to work and my father and I are oddly motivated to get off the couch and do stuff. I don't know, maybe it's because we don't have the excuse of taking care of my mother, but we're getting things done. There is just a new energy in the house.

One problem though.

There is something you should know about my mother: she has a voice that could raise the dead. I tend to sleep in, because staying up late is the only quiet time I have to myself as I live with my parents. I could sleep through the cat yowling and the living room TV noise, but my unconscious state was no match for my mother's voice. The first week she was home I asked her to keep it down until the time hits double digits. So every morning at ten am I would have my own alarm clock in the form of my mother's voice. It wasn't like she was talking to me or coming in every morning telling me to wake up. She just has the kind of voice that pierces my sleeping state and works like no alarm ever had.

This first day without my mom, to my shock and distress, I woke up to find that it was noon! Fucking noon! I have made a promise to myself that I will not sleep until noon, because that means I have officially become a slacker. I will not submit to that! NO! I miss my mom's voice that gently woke me every morning at a decent hour. (For the unemployed that is.) Now I have to set my alarm and wake up to Charles Mingus, Bright Eyes or something that will only motivate make me get up and hit the snooze button. Man, I better get a job soon or else I will be doomed to slackerhood forever.

What is worse: Getting up early but being too sleepy to get anything done or waking up with energy and motivation but half the day gone? I'm stumped.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you poor thing, having to be woken up at 12:00 p.m.! i usually sleep till noon cause i'm always up till 3-5 a.m.

i work from home so i make my own hours and i'm a night owl so that's when i'm most alert. i don't necessarily like getting up that late cause it does feel like i've wasted the day but oh well.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Steve G said...

poor thing, indeed. You know there's starving people in China that can't even afford alarm clocks.

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home