Saturday, February 19, 2005

Back in the Summer of '69

Last night I had a bit of a high school reunion. First I caught up with my friend Jen, who I haven't seen in two or three years. What is so funny is that this is the girl who I spent practically every day with when I was eighteen years old. Now we know nothing about each other. Then I saw some people I haven't seen in eight years at Mike's, another friend from high school, apartment. We spent the evening drinking and catching up with each other.
The bizarre aspect of this whole situation is that while I feel such a sense of familiarity with these people, they are strangers. All we can really talk about is the past until we get caught up to the present. We are all wanting to hang out and maybe recapture that time in life where there weren't so many responsibilities or worries. When we could hang out every night of the week until two or three in the morning and not spend a week recovering. Its just a reminder that time has passed and that we're getting older.
Yet it is also a celebration of how we have grown and changed. Many of my friends have finished school, developed serious relationships, started families, or have real grown up jobs. We want to let these people know that we survived and come out the other end pretty well. We say look what we've been through and look what we have become.
The night ended with me sobering up with my friend Mike. One thing led to another and we ended up having crazy wild sex on his pool table. Just kidding, Kathy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Debbye said...

Wouldn't you like to know...

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home