Wednesday, April 13, 2005

War! Huh! Good God, Y'all! What is it Good For?

My father is a military history buff and is always trying to get me to watch "Saving Private Ryan" or some old John Wayne movie. I am not into WWII movies at all. Macho men acting all tough and not a single interesting female character. But for some reason I can't help but watch Band Of Brothers. It wasn't until tonight that I realized what it is...the guys.

It's not just all these hot actors acting all manly with big guns and bloody wounds. There is also something very dark and nihilistic about which kinda turns me on too. Hitler was a nasty son of a bitch that needed to be brought down which was something they all knew. But to be brought into a situation like war where they might die or watch their friends die, sucks. That some drug addict, one testicle having freak with a god complex is the reason behind all this death and destruction would make anyone cynical and pissed off.

Finally, war seems like the only way for men to know how weak they are and it makes them emotionally vulnerable. I love it when men are emotionally vulnerable. These men could relate to each other's weaknesses and allow for the emotions to come out In a manly macho way of course, but be expressed none the less.

That and it's just a good fucking mini-series.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh, the type of flick that'll make a man cry. Like in "The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly" when Clint Eastwood decides to spare Eli Wallach's life, as Clint recalls how Eli once saved his. Or when Luke Skywalker burns the body of his father Vader in "Return Of The Jedi".

You get it, those scenes that make a grown man cry. How about songs? That "Cat's In The Cradle" one gets me all the time ..

and my Dad and I used to do the same things that Harry Chapin (and later Ugly Kid Joe) sings about in the song!

WAAAAAAAA!! A hankie please!!

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home