Friday, June 23, 2006

The Right To Life

I have a desire to become more of an activist for issues I believe in, especially feminism. So when I went to myspace I noticed this bulletin titled "Wake Up Everyone!!", I felt I had to make a stand:

Please don't stop reading, even if you're offended. It will at least give you insight as to why others feel the way they do...

Month one
Mommy
I am only 8 inches long
but I have all my organs.
I love the sound of your voice.
Every time I hear it
I wave my arms and legs.
The sound of your heart beat
is my favorite lullaby.

Month Two
Mommy
today I learned how to suck my thumb.
If you could see me
you could definitely tell that I am a baby.
I'm not big enough to survive outside my home though.
It is so nice and warm in here.

Month Three
You know what Mommy
I'm a boy!!
I hope that makes you happy.
I always want you to be happy.
I don't like it when you cry.
You sound so sad.
It makes me sad too
and I cry with you even though
you can't hear me.

Month Four
Mommy
my hair is starting to grow.
It is very short and fine
but I will have a lot of it.
I spend a lot of my time exercising.
I can turn my head and curl my fingers and toes
and stretch my arms and legs.
I am becoming quite good at it too.

Month Five
You went to the doctor today.
Mommy, he lied to you.
He said that I'm not a baby.
I am a baby Mommy, your baby.
I think and feel.
Mommy, what's abortion?

Month Six
I can hear that doctor again.
I don't like him.
He seems cold and heartless.
Something is intruding my home.
The doctor called it a needle.
Mommy what is it? It burns!
Please make him stop!
I can't get away from it!
Mommy! HELP me!

Month Seven
Mommy
I am okay.
I am in Jesus's arms.
He is holding me.
He told me about abortion.
Why didn't you want me Mommy?

Every Abortion Is Just . . .
One more heart that was stopped.
Two more eyes that will never see.
Two more hands that will never touch.
Two more legs that will never run.
One more mouth that will never speak.

If you're against abortion, post this as...
I don't care if I lose friends over this


So I responded with this (titled Wake Up Women!!):

The Pro-Choice movement isn’t about killing a fetus its about a women’s right to choose what she wants to do with her body. Being Pro-Choice means that woman should have the right to self-determination in all matters of her life, including reproductive.

I think Susan Faludi said it best:

“The men of the antiabortion movement may have said they were just trying to staunch the runaway pace of abortions in this country, but the rate wasn’t really escalating. In fact, American woman have been terminating about one in three pregnancies for at least the last hundred years: the only real difference post-Roe was that women were now able to abort unwanted pregnancies legally and safely...
The real change was women’s new ability to regulate their fertility without danger or fear a new freedom that in turn had contributed to dramatic changes not in the abortion rate but in female sexual behavior and attitudes. Having secured first the mass availability of contraceptive devices and then the option of medically sound abortions, women were at last at liberty to have sex, like men, on their own terms...
Women also became far more independent in their decisions about when to have children, under what marital circumstances and when to stop. In these decisions, the biological father increasingly didn’t have the final say or much of a say at all...
To many men in the antiabortion movement the speed with which women embraced sexual and reproductive freedom could be frightening. And unlike the rise of the gender voting gap or the increasing number or women at work, this revolution in female behavior had invaded their most intimate domain...

Men who found these changes distressing couldn’t halt the pace of women’s bedroom liberation directly, but banning abortion might be one way to apply the breaks. If they couldn’t stop growing numbers of women from climbing into the sexual drivers seat, they could at least make the women’s drive more dangerous by jamming the reproductive controls...
The antiabortion iconography in the last decade featured the fetus but never the mother...The fetus is a conscious, even rambunctious tyke, the mother a passive, formless, and inanimate environment. The fetus is the occupant, the mother is its temporary living quarters...”

~~Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Women


And I find this beautiful piece of wisdom from my open minded “buddy” titled "Everyone's her (sic) for a reason":


I found this on the internet. He spelled some words wroung, but like they say. "From the mouths of babes"


Is abortion wrong! You're dam right it is. Do you have any christian belief in you? If you do then you now its against GODs doing. That unborn child has everyright to live. Just like you get to live every day. You get to decide what you want to do in life, why not that child. People we need to step back and look at are how we refer to to an unborn life as a "Fetus", that might be the medical name for calling it and it might make you think well I use medical words and it makes me sound inteligent. But what it comes down to is you were responsable enough to have sex un pertected. You are responsable enough to give that child a chance in life. You can put it up for adoption, anything but killing a poor life. Give it a chance.

Michael Childers
Newport Rhode Island
Age: 9


Pass this along if you think this kids got a good head on his shoulders. I do
.



My response (titled "Step back and Look at this"):

Why are the rights of a fetus more important than mine? Why should my life be diminished because of a fetus and it’s potential? What about women who don’t want to be a mother or go through the physical act of having a child? The answer is “give it a chance”? These women should have a choice because their life has value as well.


Imply that I’m a selfish slutty heathen all you want, but I believe in my right to make my life whatever I want it to be. I will fight for that right for myself and women everywhere.

And for fuck’s sake it’s called spellcheck. Using it won’t kill anything.


Have I changed the world? Only time will tell.

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott E D said...

there is a reason 9 year olds can't vote.

7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home