Sunday, March 19, 2006

Superfreak

I have a slight hangover. Mike had a birthday party last night and I had a little too much beer. One of the topics discussed amongst my friends was my sluttiness. I guess I'm a bit of a slut.

Well, I'm a bit of a slut in comparison to my friends. One is a self-imposed non-religious monk, another a born-again fundie Christian, another has been in a monogamous relationship for almost six years. Some of my friends are very sexually active, but they are male so I guess they’re not really sluts. One is dating a stripper for pete’s sake!

My own sexual history started at nineteen, ended at twenty, started again at twenty-two and ended again last June. For that period between twenty-two and twenty-eight I slept with nine people and made out with many more. I also talk frankly about sex with my friends. I like flirting and teasing boys. I've made out with men and women, some who were quite a few younger than me, some I was attracted to, some I wasn't. A few times, three I can remember, I've fooled around (heavy petting) with someone while other people were in the room. I've slept with guys I've met online. I had a one-night stand, once.

But does that make me a slut? Really, I do find myself attracted to many men, but I've never just indiscriminately sleep with some loser who paid attention to me (make out maybe but not sleep with, well not since I was in my early twenties) I also know that outside my circle of friends I'm pretty normal, even prudish. So why this need to call me slutty? Even in jest?

I'm not mad or even hurt that I have this reputation among my friends. I know my friends are joking and I also like to joke about my amorous adventures. I think sex is funny. It's most certainly undignified. It’s easy to do. Sex isn’t the problem.

It’s more of a judgement of how a person should treat sex. I always feel that because I’m a woman I’m expected to have a reserved respect for sex. If it’s not love then it should at least be some emotional attachment. Even more so now that I’m quickly creeping towards thirty.

Things have loosened up since Erica Jong and her “zipless fuck.” Yet, in this day and age my sexual history is still considered rather slutty. And that is still a bad thing. I don’t want my sex life to be political. I don’t want to use it to push boundaries or open people’s minds.

But here I am, compelled to titillate, open up minds or just make people uncomfortable. Maybe I’m just trying to figure it out for myself. Maybe I just want to get laid. After ten months I must say, this slut is lonely.

5 Comments:

Blogger Debbye said...

Well, you were pretty drunk...

I was called a slut a few times, in jest of course.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Did I miss this conversation? And who's the self-imposed non-religious monk?

11:17 PM  
Blogger Debbye said...

It's just a joke, Ha ha Debbye's the slut because she's slept with all her guy friends. I swear my sluttiness was a topic a few times. Or maybe I just misunderstood due to the many beers I consumed.

Oh, um, I just made that part up...

1:18 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

Ah, you were just making up for lost time. All of us had that impulse in different ways. I read this book on recoving from fundamentalism, and it was mostly "exploring your inner child" pop-psychology crap, but the author does make a few interesting points.

And one of them was that being in a controlled environment like that delays your normal development by not requiring the sort of trial-and-error self-development that people have to endure when they don't have a ready-made identity provided for them. So people leaving fundamentalism suddenly wake up without an identity of their own and go through a second adolescence of sorts.

Suffice to say, if I hadn't found myself in a relationship (and weren't a social cripple), I probably would have been equally "adventurous" ...

11:31 AM  
Blogger Debbye said...

Well, I have fooled around with just about all the single (and some not so single) guy friends in my life. Remember, I was a theater major and by some fluke, most of the guys around me were straight.

I know I was making up for lost time and I don't really regret my past. Believe me, I had A-LOT of identity building to make up for; I was a blank slate after I left the fundie life.

And to be honest, most of the time it was a whole lotta fun. You guys fuckin' missed out. :D

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home