Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Because Kathy asked me...

Anyhoo, since I was finally asked to fill out this survey, here you go...


A book that changed my life:
It seems like every book I read changes my life, but if I have to choose then…
The Stranger, by Albert Camus, not just because it was one of the few assigned books I actually found interesting enough to read all the way through in High School. It was my introduction to literature that made me think. Most recently, I would say Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Women, by Susan Faludi, because it makes me want to put my feelings of frustration about sexism and injustice into actions.

A book I've read more than once:
Hope for the Flowers, by Trina Paulus. It’s a fable about rejecting what one is “suppose to do” in favor of being true to oneself. It’s kinda hippy-ish, so I have to put my cynical self to the side when I take it down for a read. I also like reading The Stand, by Steven King, because I love that end of the world shit.

A book I'd take with me if I were stuck on a desert island:
This is a stupid question and I reject it outright. If I were to be stuck on a deserted island I would take at least seven books with me. Next question.

A book that made me laugh:
Anything by David Sedaris. Pure Drivel, by the ever sexy Steve Martin was pure comedy. The Dorothy Parker short stories that don’t make me want to kill myself are usually funny…

A book that made me cry:
I had a hard time with this one for some reason. I finally came up with Girlfriend In a Coma, by Douglas Coupland. I’m not sure why it made me cry, I just remember crying. I’m going to have to read it again to remember why.


A book that I wish had been written:
Well, since Tickle His Pickle has been done, maybe Nibble Her Taco?

A book that I wish had never been written:
Umm…Most self-help books seem to be more destructive than helpful, but nothing specific comes to mind.

A book I've been meaning to read:
It’s more like “bookshelves I’d like to read”. Ummm…There’s some classic feminist literature I’ve been meaning to dive into.

I'm currently reading:
Against Love: A Polemic, by Laura Kipnis. It’s about how love is the last institution that we, as a society, have yet to really challenge. We just accept all the Love-Conquers-All crap that is forced fed to us and think we’re lame maladjusted freaks because we actually have to work at relationships. And when we rebel (through affairs and such) we’re deemed as amoral losers. I love, love, love this book and recommend it to all my friends.

And my own bonus question…

A book that was so bad that I threw it across the room after one paragraph:
Men are from Mars; Women are from Venus, by some lame asshat. The hollow thud it made when it hit the wall echoed the sound of my stupidity slamming against my self-respect at even attempting to read this book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home