Monday, November 27, 2006

I wish I knew how to quit you...

Last night, as I watched Brokeback Mountain, I was reminded of an article in Los Angeles Magazine which the writer found the moment where the two characters have sex for the first time unbelievable. (I looked for the article and just couldn’t find it…) He tried to be open-minded, but just didn’t buy this sudden turn towards sex. I’m not surprised at all. I’ve had a few situations in which I was having a normal conversation with a fella one minute and we’re doing the horizontal bop the next. What’s so hard to believe? Has this writer never had a one night stand? Hell, if Jake Gyllenhaal had been his sister Meg, we would’ve been totally disappointed if Heath Ledger didn’t get some action. These were two gay men who happen to be cowboys out herding sheep together. They were alone and both total hotties who made a connection in an extremely homophobic world. They felt free to express that attraction that makes gay men, well, gay men. Is it really that difficult to understand homosexuality? Or do most straight people just not want to understand?

Okay, I’ll make it easier. Imagine all the feelings that you feel towards the opposite sex. Okay, just imagine you feel them for someone of the same sex. I know, I know it may feel weird, but just try. Okay? How about for one minute imagine that the person you’re feeling all that sexual attraction for is a member of the same sex. Picture what that person might look like. Allow that feeling to be natural, like your attraction towards members of the opposite sex. For just one moment feel that…

There that wasn’t so bad, now was it? The world didn’t fall apart. God didn’t smite you. And there’s no need to get into bar fights or flash boobs for t-shirts to demonstrate heterosexuality. Just be a bit more open-minded. That’s all I’m asking.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched it also...while I found it beautifully filmed, I felt the story was too slow...and clearly Jake's character was so gay...

7:41 PM  
Blogger Debbye said...

Yeah, that's another thought I had...I wonder what Kathy thinks of this movie? :)

No lunch this week = Sad Debbye.

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi debbye, i'm an escapee from planetdan(don't you check out minijonb's site too?), just checking out your site. i loved BBM but then again i'm a gay man so i'm a tad biased, lol! but aside from that i found it to be such a beautifully made movie all around. i like artfilms so the slower pace didn't bother me. i do think that was part of setting the atmosphere for the story though.

as far as believability, i concur w/your thoughts. you put two strappin' men together out in an isolative landscape(yet gorgeous)& eventually their hormones will kick in in some fashion. i've also run across alot of closet bi men who you'd never suspect liked guys. you just can't always tell. so sex like in BBM happens far more often than most people even know, but bi men just aren't vocal about it cause they're on the down low. so what happens in the mts. stays in the mts. lol!

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home