Friday, October 12, 2007

Friday afternoon

I found this interesting article about American Masculinity and how it's so lost and immature. I have been interested in how masculinity is expressed, packaged and sold in America ever since I read Stiffed: The Betrayal of the American Man, by Susan Faludi, who is mentioned in the article. Anyways, it's an interesting read, so read it already.

I'm home watching Six Feet Under, in a rare moment of off time, and remember why I love this show so much; the self-awareness, quirkiness and realism all mix together with strong female characters who don't obsess about men and shoes. And Claire Fisher was the young adult I wish I could've been. There was a scene in the episode I was watching in which Claire complains to her co-worker about her temp job's manditory pantyhose rule:

No, it's not the brand, I mean they're all the same it's…I mean, I don't understand how having your legs sheathed in this like smooth plastic Barbie leg like encased in a sausage casing would help you do your job better. I mean, doesn't it seem sexist that it's a regulation only for women?
I would say things like this to my co-workers and they would look at me like as if I had said I condoned the murder of butterflies. I was an oddity in that world, just like Claire. Well, I think all the people I worked with were odd, but I was odd in an entirely different way. Anyhoo, here's a favorite clip of mine because I too would daydream while trapped in the constraints of my cubicle and "business attire":


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home