Friday, February 06, 2009

Ah, the memories...

When I was in London in a semester abroad program I decided to go to Rome by myself. Mostly I went alone because I didn't get along with many people in my program which was due to my overwhelming depression. I wasn't much fun to be around what with all the bleakness, crying, and staring off into space, so I spent a lot of time by myself. Plus, I didn't like anyone there either. They were all...happy. Ick.

Anyhoo, I arrived in Rome for my weekend holiday and after a day and a half of walking around I decided to spend some time alone in my hotel room. You know, thinking bleak thoughts, crying and staring off into space. I watched some television (you haven't lived until you've seen Buffy the Vampire Slayer in Italian) and the only thing in English was a music video channel. This video, Sophie Ellis-Bextor's Murder on the Dancefloor, just grew on me.

The first thing I did when I got back to London was find the CD and listen to it over and over again. That song and Kylie Minogue's Can't Get You out of My Head managed, in the way only upbeat pop music can, gave me a synthetic energy to wake up in the morning. When I heard Murder on the Dancefloor, I was reminded of my trip to Rome, my first real act of independence at that moment of my life. I think if I didn't go to Europe I wouldn't be the person I am now. And I actually like the person I am now.

So here's the little video that moved me so much:





Ah, I guess you had to be there...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home