Saturday, February 26, 2005

Love Lifts Us Up Where We Belong....

...Where the Eagle's Cry on a Mountain High.
Love Lifts Us Up Where We Belong.
Far From the World We Know.
Where the Clear Winds Blow...

Ah, it was a day of love and joy. It was a day of excitement and hope. I spent my day helping my sister find her wedding dress. Let me tell you that Bridal shops are scary places. First there was an older black woman who was trying on a dress that was tacky for 1985. It was bright white, backless and had bows on the butt. The woman was over forty and in my opinion, missed the time in her life where she should wear a white, backelss, bow on the butt dress.
As my sister's Maid of Honor, I have to find a dress that both of us like. My sister and I are very different people. She's a lawyer and I was a theater major, enough said. So I found a dress that both of us like but I am only able to order it online. And there is no way I can return it if I don't like the way it looks. I can return it if it is damaged, so I might order the dress, see if I like it and if I don't, I could tear it and return it. Hey if they are going deny me the ability to return the dress, I don't think I have to play fair either.
In the second dress store there were a group of girls trying on some bridesmaids dresses. Some older woman, I imagine the mother of the bride, kept telling the girls that this dress will hide all their "flaws". First of all these girls are shelling out all this money to be in this damn wedding, they don't need to have the fact that they might have some figure flaws pointed out. And pointing out such things will not make buying some ulgy dress any better. I have been a bridesmaid three times and what I did was buy the dress, wear it and never discuss it again.
But I have to admit that as I was driving home tonight I couldn't help but feel happy for my sister. She is marrying a great guy she loves very much and she is so very happy. So when I heard"Loves Lift Us Up Where We Belong" I sang out loud and proud with no hint of irony.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home