Friday, January 27, 2006

It's a family affair

This is an email exchange between my father and my Serbian brother-in-law that I had to sit through. Enjoy!

Dad~

"Let's all raise a glass in a toast to W. A. Mozart on his 250th
birthday. Sorry Milan, another German. Perfection from the past.

Love,
Me"


Milan~

"Well, he was an Austrian, and a good one :-) Cheers!
- It was interesting for me to realize that he was 50 years younger than
Benjamin Franklin. Somehow, in my mind, I never quite made the
connection that the US existed during the time of Mozart...
Milan"


Dad~

"Actually he was born in Salsburg, Germany. Migrated to Austria when he was 27 years old.

Incidentally, I have captured on Tivo a sequence of a History Channel program on World War 1 that describes/shows the German invasion of Serbia. I will keep it until you have seen it."


Mom (in a suprise guest role)~

"That's your dad for you. A little of the third Reich in him, everyone
from that area is German. Milan, a good point about Franklin. we do
have some history in the US. I found out they have just made a museum
of the house B. Franklin lived in in London, that I would like to see.
We also need to find out what Paris has to see about T. Jefferson."



Milan~

"Well, we are both right and wrong...

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfgang_Amadeus_Mozart:

Mozart was born on January 27th, 1756, in the city of Salzburg, the
capital of the independent archbishopric of Salzburg, which today is
part of Austria, to Leopold and Anna Maria Pertl Mozart.

In any case, part of the third Reich. And being an Austrian only makes
things worse :-) ;-)"


Dad~

"My family originated in Bavaria, the farmers, not fighters. That was Mozart's part of Germany at one time. So, he's still German. Ha. Your right, Austrian is worse."


Milan (bringing it on home)~

"The territory was annexed to Austria in 1806, then to Bavaria in 1809,
and finally returned to Austria at the Congress of Vienna in 1815.
Have a nice day!"


Thanksgiving is always fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home