Thursday, June 28, 2007

Pops

My dad is melancholic.

This morning was the second time in one week that I came in to find my dad listening to folk music all weepy eyed. He'll stop me and make me listen to some sad pitiful song by Joan Beaz or the Kingston Trio. This morning he started crying. My father cries all the time so I'm used to it, but I'm starting to get worried.

My dad is prone to depression.

He was in outpatient psychiatric care for depression a year or so ago. Since then he's been a lot more open to talking about his feelings. We’ve had many long talks about the past and I’ve come to a better understanding of his behavior during my childhood. When anything bad would happen I would always go to my mother who never told my father. This led me to believe that my father needed to be protected from bad things. It turns out that he’s been suffering from depression on and off for years. Trust me, it explains a lot.

My dad is retired.

He takes walks and plans on getting a trailer so he and my mom can travel when she retires. He works on his MGTF he lovingly refers to as “The Duchess”. He’s around a lot.

My dad likes Pink.

Not the color. The singer. Pink. Yep, we haven’t been able to figure it out either.

He’s pretty cool, my dad. When he’s not being a grumpy old man, that is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home