Sunday, November 20, 2005

Come Senators, Congressmen, Please Heed the Call...

I, being a feminist, decided to write an email declaring my "ugh" against Judge Samuel Alito and this was the response I recieved.

“Dear Ms:
Thank you for writing to me about the nomination of Judge Samuel Alito, Jr. to replace Justice Sandra Day O’Connor on the Supreme Court. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome this opportunity to respond.

Now that the President has put forth another nominee to succeed Justice O’Connor, the Senate Judiciary Committee, of which I am a member, must fulfill its obligation to thoroughly review his record, read his opinions and evaluate his judicial philosophy.

This new justice will be critical in the balance with respect to rulings on Congressional and Executive authority, as well as a woman’s right to privacy, environmental protections, and many other aspects of Constitutional law. Since Judge Alito has been nominated fo fill Justice O’Connor’s seat, the extraordinary importance of this nomination cannot be overstated. Having said that, I intend to reserve judgement until our due diligence and the formal hearings in January are completed.

Once again, thank you for sharing your views with me. I will be sure to take them into consideration as the nomination process moves forward. Should you have any additional comments or questions, please feel free to contact my office in Washington, D.C. at (202) 224-3841.

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator"


This is the kind of answer that my mother would give me when I'd ask to get my ears doubled pierced or if I could stay out all night to see the Rocky Horror Picture Show when I was sixteen. Then I read this article. Hmmm...

1 Comments:

Blogger Debbye said...

Judge Alito is rather conservative and I don't want him to be on the Supreme Court. So, I wrote an email to my Senator, Ms. Feinstein, and she basically gave me a response without giving a response. Then I read this article and she defends him. That's that I guess.

11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home